Below is a mini-documentary on the organization I’ve applied to intern for. The work they do is so important. Simply the Basics is the perfect example of an organization that saw a problem and sought and implemented an effective solution. As a person, and particularly as a woman, I can’t imagine what it must be like to be unable to meet my basic hygienic needs on a daily basis.
Their help is making homeless shelters more cost and time-efficient. Their donations are helping people feel better and stay healthy. Their organization is providing a vital piece of the foundation upon which people might build a better future.
Definitely worth watching –>
The Mission of Simply the Basics is to provide for individuals, organizations, and communities their most basic needs with dignity so that they can focus on bigger goals. We simply remove barriers, allowing people to have the opportunity to achieve.
- To improve the overall health and wellbeing of low income families and people experiencing homelessness.
- To facilitate the operations of nonprofit organizations by securing and managing their in-kind donation process, allowing them to focus their time on clients.
History & Philosophy
In the winter of 2015, Meghan Freebeck hosted a donation drive of feminine hygiene products for homeless women in San Francisco. After only 48 hours, enough money and products were raised to provide for every homeless female in San Francisco! It was clear how great the need was for basic hygiene products and how much the community wanted to to support this goal. It was decided to find a way to ensure that all people have their basic needs met, regardless of housing or income.
The most basic human needs are to feel safe and healthy. Simply the Basics is inspired by Abraham Maslow’s Hierarchy of Needs, the philosophy that people are unable to focus on any needs higher than their current level on the following pyramid. If a person is unable to meet their needs at the very basic level (food, shelter, clothing, education, and hygiene), they will be incapable of moving up in the pyramid to reach greater goals (job security, sobriety, mental health, and self actualization).
SIMPLY THE BASICS PROGRAMS
- BASIC NEEDS HYGIENE BANK improves health and wellbeing of the homeless by solving the operational challenges faced by organizations.
- THE ACADEMY: The Academy aims to address an individual’s specific barrier to achieving self sufficiency through Life Skills Courses, Job Readiness, and Mentorship.
- THE MARKETPLACE is an online database for people to list in-kind donations, and nonprofits to secure the ones specifically needed for free. Launching in 2017.
All information and media within this post taken directly from SimplyTheBasics.org.